William Gray - Radio and Television Department Chair - Lexington
Nov 04, 2014
• William Gray – Difference Maker at the Lexington Campus
• Radio and Television Broadcasting instructor and department chair
• American National University faculty member since 2005
• Has gained more than 15 years of experience in the radio and television broadcasting field
• Past recipient of American National University’s Instructor of the Year award for the Lexington Campus
• Holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications from Morehead State University
• Previously worked as chief video editor at WTVQ-TV
• Owner of Gray Horse Productions, a company producing event and corporate training videos
“I started teaching because I wanted to see students with the same passion for broadcasting that I have be able to use their skills in this creative field. They are so passionate about school and their career, and they really want to succeed. Students will stay long after class is over to hone their skills.
“Almost every facet of what I did at a television station is incorporated into my classes, and we experience some of the same challenges in our studio. We have equipment malfunctions, or someone that is an anchor that day may get sick or have other problems. The students have to be creative and come up with ways that will solve unforeseen dilemmas. These unexpected problems are like what they would experience in the workplace.
“I love finding out that my students have gone on to become a news director or a host for a radio program. It gives me a sense of pride for what I and American National University have done for these students.
“I had a student struggling with classes and working a job, and the two obligations collided a lot. She rode the bus to and from class, and she spent any extra time she had studying and working hard in all of her classes. In addition, when she was nearing the end of the program, she worked long hours at her externship. Her hard work paid off. Today she is an audio engineer, and she loves her job. Furthermore, her supervisors called to let me know that if this is the quality employee that we produce, then they would love to have more.”
William Gray is a Difference Maker at the Lexington Campus who has been employed there since 2005. He has more than 15 years of experience in the radio and television broadcasting industry.
Radio and Television: Radio and Television Operations - Diploma (RTO)
Radio and Television: Radio and Television Broadcasting - Associate's Degree (RTB)