Veronica Zurcher – Director of health care education - Youngstown
Feb 24, 2014
Veronica Zurcher—Difference Maker at the Youngstown Campus
• Director of health care education
• Instructor in medical assisting courses
• Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) and Registered Medical Assistant (RMA)
• American National University faculty member since 2007
• Recipient of the American National University Distinguished Teaching Award in 2009
• Has gained over 25 years of experience in the medical field
• Received a Bachelor of Science degree from Youngstown State University
• Previously worked at the Cleveland Clinic and at Children’s Hospital Physicians’ Associates
“I always knew I wanted to be in the medical field. When my grandparents or older relatives needed help, I was there to lend a hand.
“Working in different health care facilities gave me greater insight on many diseases and disorders. I was the type of employee who, if a new disease came in the door, I was researching it; I’m still doing that today. I challenge my students to look things up and learn more than what I am teaching.
“My greatest reward as an instructor is watching the students grow from students to medical professionals, from orientation to graduation.
“There have been quite a few students who lacked confidence that have walked through these doors. But when they walked across the stage to get their degree, they were a whole different person -- because someone believed in them. I tell the students, ‘I will be your biggest cheerleader; just give 110%, and you will succeed.’”
Difference Maker and director of health care education of the Youngstown Campus, Veronica Zurcher (c), with some of her students.