Pharmacy Technician Associate’s Degree
Being on the Rx Side of Healthcare
National College's Pharmacy Technician degree program is designed to provide you with knowledge, laboratory skills, and field experience so that you can assist pharmacists in providing medication and other healthcare products to patients. Students will gain an understanding of medical and pharmaceutical technology, pharmacology, pharmacy record keeping, pharmaceutical techniques, and pharmacy law and ethics. In addition, a 120 hour externship placement is required so students receive hands-on experience in a pharmacy practice site.
Students completing the pharmacy technician program are prepared to sit for the Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) exam offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
As a student in Pharmacy Technician degree program, you will:
- Develop a foundation in understanding drugs and their applications.
- Gain hands-on experience utilizing proper techniques for mixing and dispensing medications.
- Learn how to assist the pharmacist in prescription preparation and administration.
- Learn the basics for updating patient profiles, labeling pharmaceutical products, managing inventory, and recognizing trade and generic drug names.
- Learn how to maintain patient records and prepare insurance claims.
See also our Pharmacy Technician Diploma.
Your Learning Experience
Pharmacy Systems of Operations
Learn the operational fundamentals to include pharmacy laws, standards, and ethics for pharmacy technicians.
Dosage and Calculations of Medications
Learn how to accurately calculate dosages and properly interpret medication labels.
Introduction of Pharmacology
Learn the basics and issues important in today’s health care settings including legal foundations, over-the-counter and alternative medications, principles of drug action, life span aspects of drug therapies, and substance abuse and misuse.
Program Core Courses
- Pharmacy Systems of Operation
- Dosage and Calculations of Medications
- Advanced Pharmacy Calculations
- Pharmacy Practices
- Health Care Law and Ethics
- Terminology of Body Systems and Support
- Diseases of the Human Body
Why Pharmacy Technician Students Turn To National College:
- Convenience and flexibility – day and evening course schedules to fit your life.
- Small class size – allowing for one-on-one interaction with instructors.
- Industry experienced instructors – bringing their clinical skills and retail pharmacy experiences to class.
- Peer tutoring – providing one-on-one help at no additional cost.
- Training in modern medical and computer labs – simulating real work experiences.
- Externship placement as part of the Pharmacy Technician program – enabling students to build career experience.
- Career services – helping with career advice and resources needed for today's job search environment.
- Refresher courses are available to all our graduates – keeping skills in their field of study sharp and current at no additional tuition costs.
If you would rather speak with a representative over the phone, call 888.956.2732.
“I thought my background in engineering coupled with a degree in business, would make me more marketable.”
Select your campus from the list below to view costs and disclosures for this program.