Medical Billing and Coding Diploma
Because Patient Care Doesn't End After the Procedure
National College's Medical Billing and Coding program is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the functions of a medical biller and coder and to understand the professional and ethical responsibilities.
Graduates of our Medical Billing and Coding program will be positioned to work as either a medical biller or a medical coder. They may also choose to incorporate both career paths as some employers seek one person who is capable of performing both functions.
Students completing the Medical Billing and Coding program are eligible to take a certification exam as a Medical Biller through the American Association of Medical Billers (AAMB) or as a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H) administered through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
As a student in the Medical Billing and Coding program, you will learn:
- Computer Billing applications and administration procedures.
- Computer medical coding (CPT and ICD-9-CM) and terminology.
- How to retrieve information from medical documents.
- How to accurately code medical conditions and services.
- How to process health insurance claims, including paperwork and legal issues.
Your Learning Experience
Introduction to CPT Coding
Learn how to code medical diagnoses using Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding.
Introduction to Medical Insurance Billing Practice
Learn about major insurance programs and federal health care legislation. Develop a working knowledge of coding for medical necessity.
Advanced ICD (International Classification of Diseases) Coding
Learn the classification and sequencing of diagnosis and data retrieval for acute care facilities.
Program core courses may include:
- Introduction to CPT-Coding
- Introduction to ICD Coding
- Advanced ICD Coding
- Introduction to Medical Insurance Billing Practices
- Advanced CPT Coding and Introduction to 3rd Party Reimbrsement and HIPPA
- Medicare and Medical Reimbursements
- Terminology of Body Systems
- Terminology of Body Support
- Anatomy and Physiology: Systems of Transport and Support
- Anatomy and Physiology: Body Control Systems
ash; paramedic and health care management.
Why Medical Billing and Coding Students Turn To National College:
- Convenience and flexibility – day and evening course schedules to fit your life.
- Small class size – alllowing for one-on-one interaction with instructors.
- Industry experienced instructors – bringing their medical billing and coding work experience to class.
- Peer tutoring – providing one-on-one help at no additional cost.
- Training in modern computer labs – simulating real work experiences.
- Clinical externship placement as part of the Medical Billing and Coding program – enabling students to build career experience.
- Career services – helping with career advice and resources needed for today's job search environment.
- Refresher courses are available to all our graduates – keeping skills in their field of study sharp and current at no additional tuition costs.
If you would rather speak with a representative over the phone, call 888.956.2732.
“My degree has given me one of the greatest jobs, with one of the greatest hospitals worldwide, and I'm just thankful.”
Select your campus from the list below to view costs and disclosures for this program.