Sammie Hawkins-Career Center Director-Bartlett
Apr 28, 2014
• Sammie Hawkins—Difference Maker at the Bartlett Campus
• Career center director
• Bartlett Campus career center director since 2012
• Recipient of National College “Career Center Director of the Year” award for the Tennessee division in 2004
• Previously served for more than 17 years as executive director of a non-profit organization serving handicapped adults
• Gained prior experience as the Knoxville Campus career center director and as a corporate recruiter and manager of a staffing firm
• Active community involvement includes: member of the West Tennessee Society for Healthcare Human Resources Association; board member for the Bartlett Education Foundation; and ambassador with the Bartlett Chamber of Commerce, where she was recently honored as “Ambassador of the Month”
“I have a real passion for helping people find new careers. I believe it is important to give individuals hope that they will achieve their dreams and the importance of thinking positive and staying focused. I enjoy helping students figure out what their competencies are and how to develop them to best benefit each student. My philosophy is that everybody should be valued and respected.
“I get a lot of joy from seeing that I've helped someone, whether it is realizing their value in developing their résumé, feeling confident in interviewing and networking, or ultimately securing a career opportunity in their field of study. Worku Wardofa clearly stands out in my mind as a huge success story. He was a pharmacy technician student, and I am so thankful to have been a part of helping him achieve his dreams. He came to America from Ethiopia, and he overcame not only a language barrier but also a cultural one. He has now graduated, is working as a pharmacy technician, and his next goal is a bachelor’s degree and ultimately to be a pharmacist. I am so proud of him!
“My definition of success is being able to contribute in a way that helps the team; I enjoy collaborating to achieve something special. I am blessed to work with such a caring and committed staff and faculty who put the needs of the students as their top priority!”
Bartlett career center director Sammie Hawkins is pictured accepting the “Ambassador of the Month” award from Bartlett Chamber of Commerce ambassador president Sharon Fryman. “This is such a high honor for me,” said Sammie. “I have always enjoyed being involved in my community, and the Chamber is the backbone of any city. It is an awesome avenue to promote National College, and it provides me with tremendous networking opportunities to find job opportunities for our students and graduates.”